Transitioning away from synthetic shampoos and conditioners? Congratulations. If you have recently changed to our shampoo bars you might feel like your hair feels tacky or has residual left behind. This is usually because a certain area of your hair was not thoroughly rinsed and so some of the rich soap oils remain.
Even though our shampoo bars contain no artificial fragrance, color, alcohol, urea, formaldehyde, sodium laurel sulfate, DEA or propylene glycol, you still want to rinse your hair thoroughly to remove the natural soap residue.
So RINSE, RINSE, RINSE and RINSE again when shampooing. Our shampoo bars are much more concentrated than the typical liquid shampoo. The oils and butters added to our shampoo bars that nourish your scalp and hair shaft are called superfatted oils and they may remain in the length of your hair unless it is well rinsed.
Guide to shampooing with our solid shampoo bars:
- Wet your hair completely.
- Gently rub the shampoo bar directly onto your scalp (that's where the natural hair oils and grime build up. There is no need to rub shampoo bar through all of your hair.
- "Comb" the lather with your fingers through the length of your hair.
- RINSE well and REPEAT if you like. Clean hair produces even more lather the 2nd time around.
- RINSE thoroughly.
You can also add a clarifying rinse to your hair to remove residual. Our recommendation is cost efficient, containing just two ingredients... vinegar and water. Raw, apple cider vinegar is nutrient rich and restores hair pH, promotes shine and can decrease frizziness. Pure water safely dilutes the concentration so it is not harsh for your hair.
- 1-4 Tablespoons raw Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother*
- 1 cup of purified, filtered or distilled water.
- Pour through the hair, concentrating on the scalp and then running your fingers through your hair strands, giving special attention to the hair ends so as to distribute well.
- You can then do a quick rinse or you can leave the solution on your hair. The vinegar smell will dissipate as your hair dries leaving it fresh and clean. This is especially helpful with long hair as it may decrease the tangles.
In a future posts we will share some of our favorite recipes for herb and flower infused vinegar rinses.
* We recommend Bragg's Certified Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother because it is raw, natural and nutrient packed.